Las Vegas, NV - January 15, 2016
Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison was appointed to the Governor’s Commission on Homeland Security Cyber Security Committee. Following the appointment and today’s commission meeting, Lt. Gov. Hutchison issued this statement:
“I am honored to be appointed to the Governor’s Cyber Security Committee,” said Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison. “In today’s day and age, cyber security is one of the greatest threats Nevadans face. I look forward to working with my fellow committee members in effort to detect potential cyber threats and prepare our state accordingly. Protecting Nevadans is my number one goal, and serving on this committee allows me to further accomplish this goal.”
The Cyber Security Committee is responsible for providing advice and recommendations to the Commission on Homeland Security on Nevada’s cyber security risk, cyber threat preparedness posture, statewide cyber security plans, cyber related training and exercises, and enhancement of security awareness through education, public awareness, and engagement with public and private sector partners.
Background on the Nevada Commission on Homeland Security:
The commission was created in 2003 by the Nevada Legislature in response to the terror attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001. The duties of the commission include, but are not limited to:
• Making recommendations to Governor, Legislature, agencies, local governments, businesses, and private citizens about actions to be taken to protect against terrorism.
• Making recommendations on use of money received by the State from homeland security grants or related programs.
• Proposing goals and programs to counteract acts of terrorism
• Ensuring the safety of Nevada’s residents and the critical infrastructure by identifying susceptible targets
• Examining the use of and deployment of response agencies
• Reviewing efficacy of 911 systems
• Briefing Governor annually of the state’s preparedness
More information on the Nevada Commission on Homeland Security can be found at http://dem.nv.gov/homeland_security/HS_Commission/